Vegetation Control & Management


Nonnative invasive plants (weeds) pose a serious threat to the environment of San Miguel County.Thistles

The mission of the San Miguel County Weed Control Program is to halt the degradation of our environment by implementing an Integrated Weed Management Plan with the goal of preventing the introduction of new invaders, early recognition of those plants that do arrive and stopping the spread of common noxious weeds already present within the county.

We will seek to break down borders between jurisdictions by providing information and services to residents of the County as well as to the many other major landholders including Federal, State and local government entities.

For reasons of preserving functioning native ecosystems, protecting agricultural economics and fostering recreational and scenic values in Colorado, and specifically San Miguel County, the management of weed species is essential.

Please contact Janet Kask with questions or concerns about the Integrated Weed Management Plan. 

Citizens Weed Advisory Board

San Miguel County is accepting applications from citizens interested in serving on the San Miguel County Citizen’s Weed Advisory Board. The CWAB acts as an advisory board to the Board of County Commissioners to offer input on all aspects of noxious weed management in San Miguel County. There are currently five vacancies that need to be filled and the length of term is 3 years. 

Qualified persons should submit a letter of interest noting reasons for wanting to serve on the CWAB and any pertinent qualifications to Janet Kask, Director, Parks & Open Space, San Miguel County, P.O. Box 1170, 333 West Colorado Avenue, 3rd Floor, Telluride, CO 81435 or by email to

Pesticide Sensitive Registration

If a person is chemically sensitive, he/she can be registered with the State after obtaining a physician's note confirming the sensitivity. Before the Vegetation Control Manager sprays an area with residential housing, he will check the State list and any relevant homeowners will then be notified.  However, notification will only take place if he's spraying on property adjacent to their residence. Otherwise, roadside spraying is exempt from notification.

To register, please visit the State of Colorado's Pesticide Sensitive Registry Facts page.