Concealed Handgun Permit
Below you will find information in order to assist you with renewing or applying for a new Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). Completed applications must be submitted in person by appointment only, please call 970-728-4442 (ext 3) Monday through Thursday to schedule an appointment. Please do not mail documents as these must be submitted in person.For new applications, you will be photographed and fingerprinted when you submit your application. This process may take up to 45 minutes so please allow sufficient time to complete the entire process. You may download the following forms here or pick one up from the Administrative Office Monday Through Thursday.
- Permit Application Fee: New $105, Renewal $63
- Address Change/Lost or Stolen Form 3 business days
- CBI Concealed Handgun Permit Statutes
Permit Address Change/ Lost or Stolen CardNotification of a Change of Address must be made within 30 days. Lost or Stolen permits must be reported within 3 business days. These forms must be notarized.
What to Bring to your Appointment
- Completed Application. You will need to sign the application in person, before a notary public at the Sheriff's office.
- Colorado Drivers License or State ID with current San Miguel County address (a utility bill, property tax statement or lease/rental agreement.
- A check, money order or exact change for $105 (new) or $63 (renewal).
- Your original certificate for firearms training. Acceptable firearms training includes NRA, proof of organized shooting completions, DD-214 or PCS orders. Online training classes and hunter safety courses will not be accepted.
Permit Renewal Requirements
It is the applicant's responsibility to submit for renewal of concealed handgun permit within 120-days before the expiration date on the permit card. If your permit is more than six months expired you must begin the process with a new application, to include submitting the new application fee.
- Per C.R.S. 18-12-205 (IV), you must apply for renewal in the county where you live. An applicant must provide proof of residency by providing a valid driver's license, Colorado ID or Military ID or a utility bill.
- You must complete and answer all questions on the Permit Application. Do not sign the application; per Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S.) 18-12-205(2)(a), all applicants must sign the application in the presence of the issuing county sheriff or designee.
- As long as your previous permit is with our office, you do not need another training certificate. The 'proof of firearms training' requirement on the back of the application does not pertain to renewal applicants.
In compliance with the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act - Federal Law
- Separated Permit Application (fee $13 to the CBI)
- Call 970-728-9546 with questions, to schedule an appointment or to discuss qualifications.
- Download the application from above and leave it unsigned for Sheriff's Office staff to notarize.
- Include a copy of the ID issued by the agency from which you
retired / separatedfrom service as a law enforcement officer.
- Include proof of residency (Colorado Driver’s License or Colorado ID Card).