Many local stakeholders, including San Miguel County, our neighboring counties, and Tri-County Health Network, are working together to increase awareness about the 2020 Census so that we can get a more accurate count than the 2010 Census. Our region was under-counted which has resulted in a loss of federal funding.
There is approximately $880 billion in federal funding allocated across the United States based on Census counts. In Colorado, this equates to approximately $13 billion annually or an estimated $2,300 per person that can be used across a range of programs, including education and mental health.
HOW DO I COMPLETE THE CENSUS?
- Beginning April 1, 2020 the census can be filled out:
- online: use your code received in the mail online
- paper: by responding to a form sent in the mail
- phone: answer questions from a U.S. Census Bureau caller
- The census will be available in 13 different languages and is easy to answer—it will only take about 10 minutes to complete.
- You will be asked for your name, address, gender, age, race, ethnicity, relationship, and housing tenure.
IS THE CENSUS CONFIDENTIAL?
Yes! The Census is 100% confidential and no information that you share on the census will be shared with anyone
- By law, the Census Bureau cannot share respondent answers with the FBI, the CIA, Welfare, Immigration or even the President of the United States. It’s SAFE and SECURE.
- There is NO citizenship question on the 2020 census. The census is 100% confidential and no information that you share on the census will be shared with anyone.