FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monkeypox Vaccines Available Tomorrow through CDPHE Vaccine Bus
Broadened eligibility for monkeypox vaccine, increased supply expands access
Media Contact: Mike Bordogna, County Manager, 970.728.3844, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lindsey Mills, Public Information Consultant, email@example.com
(September 21, 2022) – San Miguel County, CO --- Last week, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) expanded monkeypox vaccination criteria to provide protection to Coloradans before they have high-risk exposures to monkeypox. These changes are in response to increased vaccine supply from the federal government and to ensure Jynneos vaccine doses are available for people who may benefit from getting advance protection against monkeypox.
According to the CDPHE, those who now qualify for the monkeypox vaccine include:
- Anyone (any sexual orientation or gender identity) who has had close physical contact with someone who has monkeypox in the last 14 days.
- Anyone (any sexual orientation or gender identity) who:
- Has multiple or anonymous sexual partners, or
- Has close physical contact with other people in a venue where anonymous or group sex may occur, or
- Was diagnosed with gonorrhea or syphilis in the past six months, or
- Is living with HIV, or
- Already uses or is eligible for HIV PrEP (medication to prevent HIV, e.g. Truvada or Descovy or Apretude), or
- Engages in commercial and/or transactional sex (e.g. sex in exchange for money, shelter, food, and other goods or needs).
- Anyone (any sexual orientation or gender identity) identified by public health as a known high-risk contact of someone who has monkeypox.
Tomorrow, monkeypox vaccines will be available for walk up appointments at the CDPHE vaccine bus clinic in Telluride’s Carhenge parking lot. According to current vaccine appointment registration for tomorrow’s clinic, walk up times are expected to be shorter in the afternoon, from 1 to 4 pm.
The CDPHE vaccine bus will also administer COVID vaccine and booster doses including the new bivalent boosters from Pfizer (12+) and Moderna (18+).
# # #