Stage I Fire Restrictions prohibit:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire, except within a permanently constructed fire grate in a developed campground, developed recreation site, or improved site.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- Permissible legal fireworks on private property, where jurisdictions allow (state law prohibits most types of fireworks in Colorado and on Federal Lands and it is also illegal to bring fireworks from another state into Colorado for use).
The following acts are always prohibited on federally managed lands:
- The use of fireworks and other incendiary devices on public lands in Colorado.
- Leaving fires unattended or unextinguished.
For more information about fire restrictions on public lands, please see the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre, and Gunnison National Forest (GMUG) Fire Information page and the Bureau of Land Management Colorado Fire Information Page.