What Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) Awards exist?

Special Monthly Compensation Awards include:    

Loss of Use:

A special monthly compensation is payable in addition to the basic rate of compensation for the anatomical loss OR loss of use of body members or function, due to a service-connected disability. Examples include: hand, foot, eyes, paired organs or extremities, creative organs, buttocks, kidneys, loss of speech (aphonia), and deafness.

Housebound Benefits:

Housebound is an increased monthly pension amount paid to a claimant who is substantially confined to his or her home because of permanent disability. Additionally, if you are a Veteran, you may qualify for the increased housebound amount if:

  • You have a single permanent disability evaluated as 100-percent disabling AND, due to such disability, you are permanently and substantially confined to your immediate premises, OR,
  • You have single permanent disability evaluated as 100-percent disabling AND, another disability, or disabilities, evaluated as 60-percent or more disabling.

You may not receive enhanced or special monthly pension without first establishing eligibility for VA pension. However, because enhanced pension is based upon a higher income limit, a claimant may be ineligible for basic pension due to excessive income but may be eligible for increased pension benefits. You may not receive pension at the A&A and Housebound rate at the same time.

Aid and Attendance:

Aid and attendance will be considered when the veteran is so nearly helpless that they are unable to care for themselves and cannot perform basic tasks such as dressing, undressing, keeping clean, feeding, attending to the wants of nature, frequent adjustments of special prosthetic or orthopedic appliances, or to protect them from the hazards and dangers incident to daily living. Conditions requiring this care must be service connected.

When a veteran is in need of a higher level of care (hospitalization, nursing home, or institutional care) because of his service-connected disabilities, a higher level of monthly aid and attendance allowance may be granted.

Show All Answers

1. Are we the Department of Veteran Affairs?
2. What am I eligible for?
3. What if I have a less than Honorable Discharge?
4. Where is the nearest Vet Center?
5. Where is the nearest VA Medical Center?
6. Where can I find nearby Tri-Care Providers?
7. How can I obtain a copy of my discharge papers?
8. How do I update my address and telephone number?
9. How can I change my VA direct deposit?
10. What is service-connected disability?
11. What Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) Awards exist?
12. What is the Veterans Pension benefit?
13. What GI Bill/Veterans Education benefit program is right for me?
14. Where are nearby Veterans Cemeteries?
15. Where are nearby Colorado State Veterans Nursing Homes?
16. Where can I get VA or State Vocational Rehab services?