Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Road and Bridge Department
A Development Permit from the Planning Department is also required for driveways. Please contact them at 970-728-3083.
Applicant submits herewith for the consideration and approval of the County a site plan of the proposed installation showing all necessary specification detail, including:1. Frontage of lot along County Road2. Distance from center-line of County Road to property line3. Width of proposed driveway and angle of approach4. Distance from driveway to road intersection (if any)5. Slope of driveway (% of grade)The Applicant binds and obligates himself to construct and maintain the driveway approach in accordance with the provisions of this document.
Upload site plan - PDF format recommended
1. Definition: A driveway approach is understood to be that portion of the roadway right-of-way between the pavement edge and the property line that is designed and used for the interchange of traffic between the roadway and the abutting property.
2. Intersection Clearance:
At an intersection of a county road with another highway, road or street, where right-of-way has been acquired to provide sight distance, no driveway approach shall be permitted within the frontage thereof. At any other intersection, a driveway shall be restricted for a sufficient distance from the intersection to preserve the normal and safe movement of traffic. Road Department personnel shall determine driveway separation after considering: location, alignment, speed, traffic movement and visibility.
3. Sight Distance: All entrances and exits shall be so located and constructed that vehicles approaching or using them will be able to obtain adequate sight distance in both directions along the roadway in order to maneuver safely and without interfering with roadway traffic.
4. Traffic Operations: Driveway locations for ingress and egress must be reasonable from the viewpoint of the traveling public in that no unusual hazard to pedestrians or motorists shall be created, nor shall the driveway invite or compel vehicular movements in directions or locations contrary to those for which the roadway was designed, neither shall they invite or compel illegal or unsafe traffic movements.
5. Control Devices: No entrance or approach shall be located or constructed so as to interfere with or prevent the proper location or functioning of any traffic-regulating device. The Applicant shall not be permitted to erect any sign or display material, either fixed or movable, on or extending over any portion of the County Road right-of-way.
6. Property Line Offset: All driveways shall be so located that the flared portion adjacent to the traveled way will not encroach upon adjoining property.
7. Driveway Width: No driveway shall have a width greater than 20’ for a single-family residence or 28’ wide when serving more than one residence, except as increased by permissible radii.
Notice: A 16’ driveway is recommended for maximum fire protection and/or sprinkling of the house.
8. Approach Angle: The axis of an approach to the roadway may be at a right angle to the centerline of the roadway and of any angle between 90º and 60º but shall not be less than 60º. Adjustment will be made according to the type of traffic to be served and other physical conditions.
1.The Applicant represents all parties in interest, and affirms that the driveway approach is to be constructed by him/her for bona fide purpose of securing access to his/her property.
2.The Applicant shall furnish all labor and materials, perform all work, and pay all costs in connection with the construction of the driveway and its appurtenance on the right-of-way. All work shall be completed within 30 days of permit date.
3.The type of construction shall be as designated and/or approved by the Road Superintendent and all materials used shall be of satisfactory quality and subject to inspection and approval by the Superintendent or his designated representative.
4.The traveling public shall be protected during installation with proper warning signs and signals and the County and its duly appointed agents and employees shall be held harmless against any action for personal injury or property damage sustained by reason of the exercise of the permit.
5.The Applicant shall assume responsibility of the removal or clearance of snow, ice or sleet upon any portion of the driveway approach even though deposited on the driveway in the course of the County’s snow removal operations.
6.In the event it becomes necessary to remove any right-of-way fence, the posts on either side of the entrance shall be securely braced before the fence is cut to prevent any slacking of the remaining fence, and all posts and wire removed shall be turned over to the rightful owner.
7.No revisions shall be made to the driveway or its appurtenance on the right-of-way without the written permission of the Road Superintendent.8.On those roads along which access rights are restricted or for which service roads have been constructed, driveways shall connect only to the service roads and not to the main traveled roadways.9.Provisions and specifications outlined herein shall apply on all highways under the jurisdiction of the County Road Department, County Planning Commission, Board of County Commissioners, except that on highway connecting links within the corporate limits of municipalities operating under Home Rule Powers the County regulations shall be subject to concurrence by the local governing body.10.If the Driveway Application is approved by the Road Department, the permit will be referred to the Addressing Official for assignment of the address. Once the address is assigned, the permit will be issued to the Applicant by the Road Department.
In signing this application and upon receiving County authorization and permission to install the driveway approach described herein, the Applicant signifies that he/she has read, understands and accepts the foregoing provisions and conditions and agrees to construct the driveway in accordance with the accompanying specification plan reviewed by the County agencies.
Note to Applicant:This permit shall be made available at the site where and when work is being done.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field